advertisement

Oculus

Abstract #98384 Published in IGR 22-4

Efficacy of Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty on Circadian Intraocular Pressure Following Trabeculectomy in Advanced Primary Open-angle Glaucoma

Pillunat KR; Herber R; Herber R; Wolfram S; Jasper CS; Waibel S; Pillunat LE
Journal of Glaucoma 2022; 31: 96-101

See also comment(s) by Tony Realini


PRCIS: In about 50% of post-trabeculectomy (TE) eyes, selective laser trabeculoplasty (SLT) is effective in further lowering intraocular pressure (IOP). PURPOSE: To investigate the efficacy and safety of SLT in post-TE eyes, uncontrolled on maximum tolerated medication, and/or with progression of visual field loss. PATIENTS AND METHODS: This retrospective study consecutively included post-TE eyes of patients diagnosed with primary open-angle glaucoma who had been treated with 360 degrees SLT and had a follow-up after 12 months. Primary endpoints were the reduction of mean diurnal intraocular pressure (mdIOP, mean of 6 measurements), peak IOP, and diurnal IOP fluctuations. Secondary outcomes were factors influencing IOP reduction, SLT success, and failure rates. RESULTS: Forty-three eyes of 43 patients were included. During the first year, 10 eyes (23%) needed additional procedures to reduce mdIOP and were accounted as failures and excluded from final analysis. Of the remaining 33 eyes (77%) mdIOP [Q25, Q75] dropped from 15.2 [12.2 to 16.5] to 13.2 [11.6 to 15.3] mm Hg (P=0.027), 23 eyes (54%) showed a sufficient mdIOP reduction, 1 year after SLT. CONCLUSION: SLT is effective and safe in lowering mdIOP to target IOP in about 50% of eyes after prior incisional glaucoma surgery.

Department of Ophthalmology, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus, Technical University, Dresden, Germany.

Full article

Classification:

15 Miscellaneous



Issue 22-4

Change Issue


advertisement

Oculus